Pages

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Back from KL

First...look at my boy in the post below...what a mensch. I need to get him a "Future ladykillers of America" shirt. Anyway...on to the trip:

Well…the Yanks lost but the Horns won, so I’m neutral for sports over the weekend. We had a great time in KL…saw a bunch of sites around the city, stayed in a great hotel, and did plenty of shopping. I didn’t buy very much b/c I figured I’d spent my share at the tailor…which on a side note, I saw one of the shirts I bought at the mall for 4x the price…but I did manage to pick up a couple of smaller items. KL was really nice...felt very much like a US big city, very modern, tall high rises, good public transportation, smaller more ethnic districts (although there wasn’t any “America town”) and plenty of people ready to “give you good price”. We were lucky enough to get a tour guide – one of the APJ team members happened to be in town and was nice enough to drive us around so we probably saw more than we would have on our own or just cabbing it around. We visited the War Memorial/Botanical Garden area, the old rail station, the government buildings & parade grounds, Chinatown, and the Central Market. The hotel was right in the city center and our rooms looked directly at the Petronas Towers and had a very nice rooftop pool and bar that we spent some time at Saturday evening. For dinner, we ventured out to the Bangsar area…the closest residential area outside the city. They have about a 4 block area that has restaurants and pubs…pretty nice little area with a good selection. Our tour guide Willie met up with us for drinks afterwards and then took us home. Sunday we ate lunch at the top of the KL tower which is much like the needle in San Antonio or Seattle…both lunch and the view were disappointing…the “international” lunch buffet was disgusting and there was a lot of smog from the fires in Indonesia so we were in and out fairly quickly. After lunch…we took a quick stop back by the Central Market so we could shop a little more…along the way were nearly killed some guy crossing the street…let me just say that driving here is absolutely wearing me out…even as a passenger…there are no rules…lane lines are a suggestion…there are more motorbikes than grains of rice…and pedestrians DON”T have the right of way…combine all that and I’m ready to buy a gun and start enforcing my own brand of road rules. Anyway…at least after our attempted vehicular homicide we got massages…so that helped the stress level. Sunday was a pretty early night as we our flight left Monday at 7 so we had to leave the hotel at 5 to get there in time…and here we are, back at work coming down the home stretch. Should hopefully pick my our clothes this week although for some reason I think they’re going to have to make one more round of alternations since the last time the guy basically just looked at me wearing the pants and said he knew what to do…I guess they’re from the school of thought “don’t measure at all, cut a bunch”. Don’t anticipate any excitement for this week except a long flight home.

No comments: